Monday, April 27, 2009

Banff Mountain Film Festival

Much thanks to everyone involved in getting the Banff Mountain Fim Fest here in the Black Hills!

I'm sure everyone who was there agrees...and I bet there were a few Black Hills Adventurers..... there was some great footage and inspirational athletes up on the screen. If you don't leave the theater dreaming of your next great adventure or at least promising yourself to get off the couch more often, there might be something wrong with you.

While traveling or even within my close circle of friends, it has been my pleasure to hang out with many extraordinary people that might not make their way onto the silver screen, but sure should. I guess I start to take it for granted and get used to all of them doing wild and crazy things. It becomes the fabric of life. It becomes a normal habit and just the way things are. Sometimes I have to go to a film fest to remember that 'normal' people don't act this way or do these things everyday. Now I don't know what to do with that knowledge, but it has given me food for though today. If you ever get a chance to befriend an adventurer, I'd reccomend you jump at the chance. They will have something special to share with you, cuz they ain't like the rest of the dudes in the trailer park.

We all have our gifts. Now when some of us use these gifts we just end up doing silly things like hucking a kayak off a waterfall or a bike down a trail or climbing up some rock. At times it all seems like a waste. Couldn't we be doing something more productive? Maybe growing a garden or curing cancer or something. Or is doing what makes us happy enough? Being genually happy is a goodness that is worthy of something. Because I for one know that doing these things can make a person feel more alive then anything else....funny how being near death, makes a person feel more alive.

And with that I'll quit, else there will be a multi page circular ramble on the meaning of life that is much better left to the experts.

No comments:

Post a Comment